Tuesday, December 20, 2005
Is France moving to the right?
France is in disarray and the natives are restless. Some are burning cars and the others are wondering why their cars are burning.
I found this article from Emma-Kate Symons "Mood turns darkly towards far Right" (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,17590834,00.html)
The party is over in France. In fact, she writes that "The public mood in France has darkened and veered sharply to the Right in the two months since the Paris riots."
More and more, the French are looking beyond the disgraceful and corrupt Mr. Chirac and listening to Jean-Marie Le Pen:
"Support for Le Pen's National Front - or at least its anti-immigrant ideology - has risen since the riots, sparking fears there will be a repeat of the 2002 presidential election, when the wily demagogue trounced the Left and almost snatched the presidency."
In the meantime, France is dealing with another crisis. The country has a debt problem:
"Against this backdrop, structural reform of the economy - possibly the best long-term source of hope for the unemployed youth of the suburbs - remains stalled.
This week, France woke up to a report into its astronomical public debt, which is now higher than E2000 billion ($3210billion), or 200 per cent of GDP.
"Our state is bankrupt," wrote Pascal Gobry, of the French Institute of Actuaries, in Le Monde.
"Even if it would sell to the Japanese the Palace of Versailles at a high price, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre Museum, all of our patrimony, the French state could not honour her commitments for retirees or salaries. The king is completely nude."
So keep an eye on France. Things are changing in France and no one knows for sure where the country is headed.
In the meantime, don't look for a job in France or leave your car parked outside in Paris.
Posted by Silvio Canto, Jr. Post Link ---> 6:03 AM
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
- ► 2012 (573)
- ► 2011 (857)
- ► 2010 (869)
- ► 2009 (1364)
- ► 2008 (1272)
- ► 2007 (1158)
- ► 2006 (1045)
- How bad was 2005 for Pres. Bush?
- Iran, not Iraq, will be the big issue of 2006-07
- Happy New Year: Welcome to the age of bloggers
- Kill Kyoto in 2006
- My 2006 fun predictions!
- Required reading: Bill Bennett on the leaks
- Well done, AG Gonzalez
- Katrina and the media
- The NFL TV network
- Why not blame Canada?
- The NSA story is not clicking with the public
- The White Sox were the sports' story of 2005
- Remembering the 1965 Minnesota Twins
- Tony Oliva should be in The Hall of Fame
- Why such outrage?
- If you love Che, you do not love freedom
- Goodbye MNF
- Follow up to the Pope and abortion
- The Pope's message on the unborn
- Rangers take a big step forward with Millwood
- Camilo Pascual, great Cuban pitcher
- Mexico's PR offensive
- Pres. Truman and the 1945 Christmas message
- The midnight mass
- It's Merry Christmas to me
- Good news on Christmas Eve
- Cowboys finally win a December 24th game
- Another terrible leak
- Go and get the leakers!
- Why can't some liberals see the threat?
- Santa won't bring Democrats the House or Senate in...
- And now it's Daschle's turn to do the shuffle
- Where are the civil libertarians on The Barrett Re...
- Merry Christmas, Pres. Bush
- The big story of 2005: The brave people of Iraq
- Some of the ones who left us in 2005
- What's the big deal about The Patriot Act?
- Sad news from Baltimore: Ellie Hendricks is dead
- So much for the Bush police state
- More good economic news
- The fence is a sign of frustration
- Left wing media bias?
- Is France moving to the right?
- Let's have a debate about the war on terror
- The Sunday night Bush speech
- What a bad football Sunday!
- The timing of the New York Times
- Let's get real
- Where is the Dems plan for Iraq?
- The WMDs
- Great day for bloggers
- 11 million reasons to congratulate the Iraqi peopl...
- God and Democrats
- Required reading: John Kline on Iraq
- A few notes on abortion
- We are fighting assassins in Iraq
- Merry Christmas is the right message
- Bush is the luckiest guy in the world
- The so far perfect Colts
- Those wonderful Cowboys win another close game
- The late Senator Gene McCarthy
- Required reading: Steyn on the Iranian president
- The new Toronto Blue Jays
- A lot of hot air in Montreal
- Bush wins the Heisman
- Clinton and Kyoto
- The new Republican ad is great but three months to...
- John Lennon, 25 years ago!
- Soriano gone, is Clements coming to the Rangers
- Our winter storm
- McCain-Lieberman in 2008
- It's 1971 all over again
- Iran is back in the news
- The 7-5 Cowboys
- Lieberman vs Murtha
- The new Gaffney book
- Texas, Big 12 Champions
- 2008 will be good for Republicans
- Lying about war
- Great article: Gerard Baker writes from the UK
- The Bull Moose blogs again
- The President speaks and I like what he said
- ▼ December (82)